“I am not sure why I have to stand on this rock!” Bob Ross said.
“Trust me it will look great!” Travis said
“But there is a horrible lens flair from the lighting!” Bob Ross replied.
“Meh, just go with it, its a happy little accident” Travis said.
My last post (First Post of 2014 (Goals)) was well over eight months ago. I felt it was time to post an update so that we are all on the same page as to how my goals for this year have been.
So here they are (in Italics)
- Drastically cut back on social media. All things considered, I have cut back. I believe I will be cutting back even more.
- Investigate and sign up for higher education. Done. I am enrolled and registered for the Online Master’s of Science in Computer Science (OMSCS) at Georgia Tech (Go Jackets!) Much more to come on this in the future.
- Lose some weight. Ha, this one has totally not happened.
- Read the Bible more faithfully. Mostly reading it daily, however I am falling into the classic “read it as a history” book. I am on track to finish the entire Bible by the end of the year, at which point I will start over but this time in timeline order.
- Witness to one person a month. Miserable fail. I probably have done this twice. This is not my strong point, I need to correct this.
- Spend more time with kids. I have spent more time with the kiddos, however I probably could dedicate more time to them. With schooling, my availability is probably going to drop. In fact, I should probably end this post and spend some time with them right now!
It’s been a while and I mentioned previously I am not doing anywhere close to what I had hoped to achieve, going full WordPress and all. Well, I can at least get one post a month in and feel good right?
- I really would like to know what I said or did that basically cost me two friendships. I mean I think I know but if that is the reason, then I guess maybe it is best we are not friends. Whatever, no bad blood, no hard feelings, just hope things are doing well and the bridge is there and the door is open.
- A while back I posted about a trip to Colorado, Chicago, Seattle, or Kansas City for our upcoming tenth anniversary. All of that is probably going to turn into a babysitter and a nice dinner in Des Moines because I am a cheap and stingy hack job.
- Along with those lines, it is very possible I will forgo the Bengals game in Chicago. Apparently Chicago is the third most expensive stadium to see an NFL game. Who knew? It’s not like they have a team or anything (oh too soon?). Actually it has something to do with Soldier field having the lowest capacity of all NFL stadiums and the economy in Chicago that sets the price where it is. At least I won’t need to worry about being shot because guns are illegal there right? (that one was to soon).
- I tried to do some yard work today, it was a lost cause. I did re fix the van’s window, not because I felt like it but because I had to as the window popped out of the slots and feel into the door. Thankfully it did not shatter.
- I’ll touch on the Bengals draft in a separate post.
- I was lucky and saw Dave Ramsey in Des Moines this past week. I think I will make that a separate post as well (hopefully soon before I forget).
- My cousin Rachel started a blog, I will plug it on this site even though no one reads this. Here is the link: http://raybaby25.blogspot.com/
- I wasn’t there but my protege DJ’d prom at my alma mater and his current school. From what I gathered it went well despite some equipment problems that he resolved with a little bit of phone help (me 🙂 ). I really wanted to make a quick appearance for old time sake, however I was Daddy Day Caring and it just wasn’t possible.
- Even though I did make a quick stop to see my other former partner DJ’s Max and Zax the previous week, I really had not plans to do that initially. Just luck of the draw.
Well shoot, my plan to revitalize the webpage has utterly failed. I think I was deluding myself into thinking that I could do this and ditch Facebook and use Twitter exclusively for quick thoughts. The Twitter part has worked out, and Facebook can be ditched, the posting recent and relevant posts to the webpage (blog) has not worked. That having been said, I am reverting to my old ways and doing a Random Rants post.
- Signed up for some training at work, without going into to many details I feel like I am at the end of a witch hunt. Really is dumb given the details (which I am not going to share at this time).
- Recently obtained my conceal and carry permit. Don’t have anything to conceal or carry at this point, but just got because I could. And it is my patriotic duty.
- I just noticed that it is March already, this year is flying by
- Sam is getting closer to being potty trained, sure he is young but start early. Still a ways to go but progress is being made.
- I have been meaning to post my random conversation with someone formally from Iowa who apparently was lonely. The problem has been I switched phones at about that time and since I have been using the new phone exclusively, I keep forgetting to do it. Funny stuff so stay tuned.
- We got Chloe’s report card. I don’t understand why they cannot use simple grading like I grew up with. So instead of the A-F system which makes perfect sense in every situation, we have this weird tiered system that is less inclined to “offend” a child. So I have no idea if she is doing well, average, or behind.
- I figured out something I am going to miss with DJ’n. I won’t be able to play Thrift Shop at an obnoxious level.
Plenty on my mind, not enough for a decent article. Scratch that, I have enough but the timing is not right (trust me on this one 🙂 )
- We are supposed to have some kind of snow storm this week. The Midwest was actually mentioned in the predictions, which is kind of odd. What I mean by that is that there could be 3 feet of snow dump in Nebraska, the Dakotas, Iowa, Wisconsin, or Minnesota and it does not make the news feeds. Five inches in New York City = News Frenzy!
- Our sewer was relined today. Made for an interesting day as we were (are at the time of writing) not supposed to dump fluids down the drain, flush the toilet, take showers, etc. I am not so sure that ours needed it but we did not have a say in the matter.
- Sam made his first deposit in the toilet today. At 17 months we feel we can have him completely potty trained by his second birthday if not before then.
- Taxes are done, but not filed. I am not sure what I am waiting for, but I always do this. It makes no sense seeing as we will get a refund. Maybe next year when I will probably have to pay in for the first time in a long time it will make more sense to wait.
- It just dawned on me, earlier this evening. I have not had Buzzard Billy’s in almost four years! I am due, especially since they are back in Des Moines. Granted it is not in the original location, I am sure it is just as awesome as it was.
- I have a new phone on the way, or rather a new to me phone. I purchased a re-certified phone from an eBay auction. Why? Simple. I am on a grandfathered Verizon unlimited plan, and my current phone is tanking after a few falls. Not getting anything special, but will get 4G unlimited until Verizon decides to un-Grandfather our plan, at which point we will be shopping around.
- I am anxious to see when the Packers will be in Cincinnati, as we had already decided that is our game to go see in Cincy this year. The backup game for me this year is in Chicago, which may happen as well.
- I am really disappointed in myself with this blog. I was hoping to stay dedicated and post often. However as I mentioned in a previous post, it is just harder than I thought to upload quality posts everyday without getting too emotional. Besides, I am not a journalist.
Well its Random Rant Monday, lets see what I am ranting about.
- Obama was inaugurated for his second term today. I sorta get it but what is the point of re-inaugurating someone who is still in office. Seems like an awful waste of money for the government to be spending on… oh wait never mind now it makes sense.
- I will acknowledge that I watched the two football games yesterday, that is all. A post with all my thoughts will be coming this week sometime.
- I really hate it when you spend a lot of time working on something, it looks like it is going well and you are close to finishing… and BOOM you have to start all over.
- Signed up for a conceal and carry class. Pretty cheap @ $20 per seat. Let me know if you are interested.
- It looks like I might need a new phone, in a rock and a hard place because I am still on a grandfathered Verizon unlimited plan. What to do?
- My protege ran his first official gig with my old equipment. Sounds like he hit a few minor snags, but everything went well. Good thing he was trained by the best!
- Speaking of DJ’n, there is definitively a part of me that misses it, but a greater part of me does not miss it. I think that will be amplified in about five months 😉
That’s it, that is my post. I’ll write about this later when I am less steamed but I am not watching the Superbowl. I will watch this instead…
I might have to created a new “Manic Monday” category and put this under that moniker. So here is what is ranting around in my mind.
- The US is probably going to have stricter gun laws after tomorrow. Complete stupidity at its best. The Obama administration (and its followers) doesn’t believe the average citizen needs rifles that could be classified as assault rifles. Yet they have no problem arming Syrian, Libyan, and Egyptian rebels… interesting.
- The whole assault rifle thing is stupid too. “Assault” is an action not a description. You can “assault” someone without a gun or with a handgun.
- Still someone tell me how punishing those that follow the law will help the situation?
- Enough on guns, what about the fix that is in for the Ravens. It was pretty clear that the referee’s want a “Harbaugh” Super Bowl.
- I have been thinking about changing from a daily post to a weekly or a twice a week posting. It is kind of hard to come up with enough material to write a post about each day. Usually I can only muster 140 characters…
- Had an interesting dream last night about a place I applied for once upon a time. The funny thing is, it was sorta like I didn’t get into it because I forgot to do my homework. (kinda)
- Sam, went on the potty with the aid of a chair. Soon I am hoping we can get him to #2 on the potty and then really focus on getting him to tell us when he needs to go. He is only 15 months old (yesterday) but I really think that we can get him completely trained by his 2nd birthday. That would be a huge win for us!
- It is annoying to have Facebook friends who continually go off and on Facebook. I have about five of them, and only one of them probably has a legit reason to do this. The other four, its annoying and will probably get you un-friended.
- Along those lines, I kinda keep track of who un-friends me, I lost two because of my anti Raven tweeting. I think I am better off with out them…
- Also along those lines Facebook is stupid
- Spoiler alert, next two posts will be blasts from the past.
Here is something new. I think I am going to layout a bunch of random predictions for 2013 that I think will happen. No I am not a card reader, psychic, or whatever. I am not limiting my predictions to any one category, except for fun. Since that is what it is supposed to be.
- (Cheat) Denver Bronco’s win over the Seahawks in the Super Bowl
- Geno Smith will go to the second round before being drafted
- The Bengals will win the AFC North
- The Colts will win the AFC South
- The Chiefs will win the AFC West
- The Patriots will win the AFC East
- The Falcons will win the NFC South
- The Redskins will win the NFC East
- The Seahawks will win the NFC West
- The Packers will win the NFC North
- I will have to buy another car this year
- I will have to buy another phone this year
- Hilary Clinton will announce her aspirations for president (might be in 2014)
- Floods in Iowa
- Iowa will not get a Waffle House, but it might be announced we will get one.
- Windows 8 will continue to tank.
- Facebook will have a security problem/leak
- Taxes will rise
- I will get a Kuerig for work
- Obama will take fifteen vacations
- Boone will get a Theisen’s
- Gas will hit $4.60 /gal in Iowa
That’s enough for now. I hope some of these and some of these don’t come true.
I absolutely love WordPress! I have wrote a bit ahead and used the publishing schedule extensively This post, I wrote three days ago!
I am working on a post about the whole fiscal cliff and the Obama Presidency I must be honest, I have been working on it for well over a month now and I cannot finish it without getting very furious and losing my train of thought. #notagoodthing
Whoa, did I just use a Twitter hash tag there? Yes I did #true #diditagain
Speaking of Twitter, you can follow me @blubaughtravis, or cheat and read the posts here. I honestly wish I would have signed up for Twitter when it went live to the public in July of 2006. If I would have I would not have signed up for Facebook in 2008 (after resisting as long as I could). By the way, don’t friend me on Facebook unless you are family or truly that.
While on the topic of social networks, I do believe that Twitter and LinkedIn are on my “stay” list. I am trying to ween myself off of Facebook and am waiting for a merge feature to merge it with Tress’s account and let her do the Facebook thing.
My first check for the year of 2013 will be roughly $325 more each pay period (each two weeks). What did I do? Something you should do as well. I changed my w-4 status to Married and added allowances. Why should I let the fed take my money and waste it on an interest free loan. With that I also downgraded from the high medical plan to the lower medical plan (a savings of about $70 each pay period.
That be all for now, more to come in the future!